Church History

Introduction

 Matthew 16:18 says, "... I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."  The church is at the center of God's program for accomplishing His plan and purpose in the world today.  The history of one little local church is only a small portion of the overall scheme.    

Palestine Bible Church has had its victories and its struggles.  However, the church still stands by God's Almighty Hand, and by His Wonderful Grace.  History is important because one can learn from it.  However, one must be careful not to live in the past, but in hope of the future.   The purpose of this brief history is to create even a greater love for "The little country church along side of the road that preaches the Word of God". 

The Early Years (Before 1900)

  The written record of the church located near the "village of Palestine, Indiana" dates back to May 13, 1868.  However, it seems most clear that the group met prior to this date.  The first elected board of trustees was made up of five men:  Joseph Everly, Robert Mitchell, William E. Sarber, John S. Sarber, and Martin Hatfield.  It was their job to procure ground and build the "house".  This was not all.  The purpose of this gathering was "to locate, properly law off, and take care of a grave yard."  This is why the church did not locate in Palestine proper.    

Sometime between 1868 and 1873 the church was erected.  It was termed "a house of worship" from the beginning.  A.F. Leaman was the chairman of one of the first meetings and is considered the first pastor of the church.   It is easy to see that the early history is very much connected to the history of the cemetery.  The body of Mary Sarber was the first burial in the Palestine Cemetery in May 1868.  Although older tombstones appear in the cemetery, it is known that these memorials were moved from across the road and creek. 

Recognition is due to the man who has supplied this information.  It was W.J. Mummah, the first secretary.  He kept beautifully written notes.  Unfortunately, the first records have disappeared.  Elder Carrels gave this record to Pastor E.T. Gilliam in 1884 as a recommendation to his next pastorate.    

Seven years later hard times came to the church and it almost closed on December 18, 1875.  On this day the members considered the sale of the "Christian Chapel" property.  Determination prevailed, one member voted against the sale, and the property was retained.

Eleven years following this near closure, great pride was taken in the church.  It was considered a beautiful little church.  The next year (1887) they put up an elm picket fence.  After all this work was done to the little church, on May 20, 1890, the church was moved!  The first location was several hundred yards east.  The church was moved northwest to its present spot.  The layout of the church was different also.  The church entrance was in the opposite direction.  The parishioners entered and exited by the pulpit.    

It was during this same year, on February 13, 1890, the Palestine Chapel became the Palestine Christian Church.  This is the first reference of the church being a Disciple's Church.   The history for the next six years is very unclear.  The result of whatever happened was that the church closed.  From October 1896 to April 5, 1900, the church remained mostly idle.  This was the first of four closings and at least three near closings.  The death of leaders and disinterest of members caused the closing.    

The early years (before 1900) had their ups and downs.  They close with the closing of the church but our Loving Heavenly Father has more in store for the Palestine Christian Church. 

The Struggle of the Early 1900's

 A man by the name of W.T. Morgan reopened the church and started the Sunday School in 1900.  On February 8, 1900, a Mr. Canfield held evangelistic services and 29 made decisions for Christ.  W.L. Barnau was called to be the pastor for $250 per year.  It was during this time the church bell (made of 1,300 pounds of steel) was purchased for $67.50.  It is sad to say, but these enthusiastic efforts were short-lived and the church soon closed again.  It was at this time, the Church of Christ (Mentone) and the Warsaw Church of God held meetings in the idle church building.  In 1902, the Lord intervened again and a Mr. Henry with a Pastor Llemry opened up the church again.    

This new revival of keeping the church alive lasted only until the conclusion of the part-time ministry of Pastor Anderson in 1906.  The church lay idle until 1911.  Five years of doing nothing and the reason for this closing was a lack of funds to hire a preacher.  Even in the year 1911 only meager attempts of reopening were made.    

The year 1912 was a big year.  July 1, the evangelist H.E. Wilhite and singer F.H. Shaul held services.  God blessed and the group of 13 turned into a group of 47.  The membership grew to be over 60!  New hymnals were purchased to sing praises to the Lord.    

There is not much recorded after this blessing from God until 1917, 1919, and 1923.  Each of these entries, into the record, is concerned with purchases for the church to better the ministry.  Carpet, blinds, fence, double doors, and the like were added.  Two notable things were done during these years.  First, on May 19, 1923, Henry Binkley was paid $35.00 for raising the church and changing its direction.  The second time the whole building was moved!  Second, in the summer of 1923 the church received its brick facing.  The records seem to show that the church closed in 1923 while all of this work was being done.    

The early 1900's were truly a struggle but it closes with a ray of hope, the people became more interested in the "little house of worship". 

The Ray of Light

 All of the above improvements were done in preparation for a great day in the history of the Palestine Christian Church.  January 20, 1924, was the day of the church's dedication.  The church began in 1868 and was dedicated in 1924.  The church was without a pastor, however, there were three preachers in attendance.  Three services were held.  It was said to be a time of "spiritual refreshment" for all.  "Unity and brotherly love prevailed throughout the meeting."    

There was a real scare during this special day.  Several hooded Klu Klux Klan members entered the building and donated $200 to the church.  The speaker at the time was J.W. Keefer.  He said, "Let us kneel and pray."  The masked visitors then disappeared.    

There is another gap in the records at this point.  One point is made that the Palestine Church was in a circuit with Milford and Etna Green for meetings.  On June 28, 1931, there were 126 people in attendance and on June 23, 1935, there were 180 people in the Palestine Christian Church Sunday School.    

Beginning with Walter Mickley in 1939, a series of pastors have been selected from students and faculty of Grace Theological Seminary.    

Now the history pen jumps all the way to the year 1951.  Ivan French was the pastor and many important steps were taken.  Up to this point the cemetery and the church were closely tied together.  In 1951, the cemetery incorporated with $361.63 in the treasurer's hand.  Also during this year, October 29, 1951, the first missionary was taken on.  Robert Munn was taken on with his wife.  They went under the European Bible Mission.  However, they resigned their affiliation with this group on August 31, 1976, after 25 years because of policy changes within the mission.  They were taken on for $25 per month in 1951 and they are still supported by the church today (1980).  Brother Munn has become well known for his correspondence courses.  It is a great privilege that the Palestine Christian Church could play a part in his ministry.    

The next jump of the history pen is to the year 1953.  On June 13, 1953, James Lackey made a motion that the church "break entirely from the Disciples of Christ and Unified Promotion and that money be spent for spiritual rather than social Gospel."  The church agreed and has remained independent up to the present.    

In June of 1958 there was an interest upon the part of members to take on another missionary.  On July 11, 1958, the first free-will offering was taken for Cedine Bible Mission in Spring City, Tennessee.  This is a mission involved in working with black youth.  Previous to this the "Back to the Bible" broadcast was taken on as a missionary.  Later on in year to come the "Radio Bible Class" would be added to the missionary outreach of the Palestine Christian Church.   In the year of 1959 the Palestine Christian Church adopted a constitution.  This is the same constitution used by the church until its revision in 1980 and 1988.

Because of time and space the pen of history will now jump to the year 1971.  Gary Janzen, who was pastor from June 1969 to May 1971, was led to leave the Palestine Church.  Because of several factors, the spiritual fervor was at a low ebb and there was a near closure of the church.  However, the church still had its characteristic desire to live.  They decided to stay open and they contacted Warren McCuen, who became the pastor in June 1971.    

Up to this time the Palestine Christian Church had observed the weekly Communion Service, as is customary for a Disciples of Christ Church.  On April 6, 1975, Pastor Warren McCuen announced from the pulpit that there would be no more weekly communion but a monthly observance.  The first Sunday of every month would be the time for communion.   This would not be the first major change for the "little country church".  

On June 23, 1976, it was proposed that,   To avoid misinterpretation of the church's name and so that we as a body of believers be not falsely represented as supportive of the Christian denomination, it was voted unanimously by the members to change the name of the little church...    

I Thessalonians 5:22, "Abstain from all appearance of evil." was quoted.  It was on July 11, 1976, that the Palestine Christian Church became the Palestine Independent Christian Church.    

In December 1980, under the leadership of Pastor Richard C. Piatt II, the church's revised constitution was approved.  The revision of the constitution was necessitated by the church's pursuit of incorporation status.  Incorporation was deemed important in establishing the church as a not-for-profit organization and also to protect the members of the Board of Trustees from individual liability in the event of legal action brought against the church.  Plans for the incorporation of the church halted with the departure of Pastor Piatt in February 1981.  It was not until 1988, under Pastor David Callighan, when the topic of the church's incorporation surfaced again.  The name of the church was also changed to the Palestine Bible Church at this time to avoid all appearances of any connection with the liberal and non-fundamental Christian Church denomination.  The Palestine Bible Church was officially incorporated on June 15, 1988, with the assistance of local attorney, Paul Refior.    

The next major event in the history of the Palestine Bible Church was when the church body voted to become a member of the Independent Fundamental Churches of America (IFCA) on July 25, 1988.  The reason for becoming an IFCA church was the three-fold purpose of the IFCA:  1) to build Bible churches where there are no fundamental churches;  2) to help small rural churches grow by providing a full-time pastor; and 3) to help small churches struggling financially to get on their feet again.    

The next several items in the history of the church deal with improvements made to the facility itself.  The entire church, basement included, was painted during the summer of 1990.  In April 1991 the first bookshelf (a second bookshelf was added in 1995) was placed in the southeast corner of the sanctuary that would become the home of the church's growing library of Christian literature available to the patrons of the church.   The existing main entrance was completely replaced with double steel doors in June 1992.  Three ceiling fans were installed in the sanctuary in August 1994 to assist with the cooling of the facility in hot weather.    

Finally, the construction of a two new rooms in the southwest corner of the sanctuary was attractively completed by Bruner Construction in March 1997.  One room serves as a coat room while the adjoining restroom houses an Incinolet electric toilet.  The electric toilet was the best option available since the presence of the adjacent Palestine Cemetery would not allow for the installation of a typical sewage disposal system.  The construction addressed a long standing need for an indoor restroom facility at Palestine Bible Church, eliminating the need for the outdoor restroom facilities that have served the church in the past. 

Conclusion

  The "Little country church along side of the road which preaches the Word of God" has had its bad and good times.  One thing that is characteristic of the little church is its desire to live.  A true church is made up of people who have been touched by the regenerating power of the Holy Spirit.  They have new life and a desire to live for the Lord Jesus Christ.    

The history of the Palestine Bible Church is a fit example of the Christian life.  The Lord never said the Christian life would be easy, in fact it may be very difficult but he goes with us through the hard times.  True believers do persevere.    

Palestine Bible Church will stand as long as it remains true to the Word of God.  May the Palestine Bible Church remain true until Jesus comes, for the glory of her risen Lord. 

  Pastors Of Palestine Bible Church
Dates Pastor
March 22, 1873 A.F. Leaman
October 13, 1877 Ralph Phinney
November 19, 1881 F.P. Franklin
December 9, 1883 E.T. Gilliam
Unknown date Brother Lacey
Unknown date Brother McDermott
Unknown date Brother Dunkleberger
July 28, 1896 W.T. Sherbourne
October, 1896 A.M. Gillispie
Church Closed
April 5, 1900 W.L. Burnau
Church Closed
Unknown date Brother Llemry
February 24, 1902 H.P. Church
December 20, 1904 Brother Anderson
Church Closed
March 10, 1913 Everette Smith
August 25, 1918 T.A. Thomas
December, 1920 J.B. Dunkleburger
January 9, 1921 Ira Boyts
Unknown date Brother Ewing
Church Closed
Spring, 1924 Brother Able
1926 to June 1930 Elwood Dunn
February 21, 1932 Francis Garrett
October, 1933 to August, 1936 Everett Smith
August, 1936 to September, 1939 Darrell Norwood
October, 1939 to June, 1941 Walter Mickley
July, 1941 to December, 1941 Howard Meyer
December, 1941 to June, 1942 Walter Mickley
August, 1942 to October, 1946 Homer A. Kent, Sr.
May, 1947 to March, 1948 Donald Blake
October, 1948 to September, 1950 John Drury
October, 1950 to April, 1953 Ivan French
May, 1953 to May, 1956 Fred T. Hall
September, 1956 to October, 1957 Glen Lockwood
October, 1957 to January, 1960 James H. Gabhart
April, 1960 to April, 1964 Norman McVey
September, 1964 to May, 1965 Don Apperson
June, 1965 to July, 1966 Eugene Fry
November, 1966 to June, 1969 Gilbert Pugh
June, 1969 to May, 1971 Gary Janzen
June, 1971 to June, 1975 Warren McCuen
September, 1975 to May, 1976 Harlan Palser
September, 1976 to September, 1978 Alex DeGolyer
August, 1979 to February, 1981 Richard C. Piatt, II
March, 1981 to ??????, 1983 Rob Wheeler
January, 1984 to March, 1985 Paul Chappel
April, 1985 to April, 1987 James Belton
June, 1987 to January, 1988 (interim) Norman McVey
January, 1988 to April, 2012 David Callighan
May, 2012 to September, 2018 Rick Stewart
October, 2018 to May, 2019 (Interim) Stephen Gerber
January, 2020 to October, 2025 Thomas Craig
February, 2026 to Present Brad Lambright